My name is Jan Meppe and I am a Machine Learning Engineer at Snappet. I blog about how to become a better machine learning engineer.
Here are some of my blog posts loosely organised by topic.
- Most popular (read >2000 times)
- What keeps me busy as an ML engineer
- Time management, procrastination, and motivation
- How to make good flashcards for optimal learning
- How to take better notes
- Startups/building product
I love data-driven decision making
That being said… I love machine learning, but what really really drives me is my obsession for data-driven decision making:
- I used data-driven decision making to become one of the best 500 players in Europe in a game called Overwatch (that’s the 0.0012%th percentile performance)
- I used data-driven decision making to learn how to solve a Rubik’s cube in under 15 seconds
- I used data-driven decision making to reduce a client’s CI/CD build times by a factor 3x resulting in significant cost savings
I write a lot
I write because I like it and because I can help people at scale:
- I have written more than 50 articles on my blog www.janmeppe.com
- I wrote more than 150 editions of my sort-of daily (but now discontinued) newsletter Today Jan Learned.
- Hacker News featured one of my blog posts on their front page and was read more than 30.000 times.
I also build mobile apps…
I built an iPhone app that is live on the app store and wrote about what I learned:
- View 3 good things: a gratitude log on the App store
- Simple React Native Redux counter example
- How to add a bottom modal in React Native
Do you want a blog like this?
- How to remove the excerpt from recent posts in a minimal mistakes blog
- How to change size of blog posts
- How to add a favicon to minimal mistakes
- How to add Latex to Minimal Mistakes
- How to change Jekyll theme to Minimal Mistakes
- How to add a teaser image to minimal mistakes
- How to add a splash image to minimal mistakes
- How to change the font size of the code blocks in minimal mistakes using Github pages
I studied here
I studied econometrics (financial engineering) with a focus on machine learning:
- MPhil in (Advanced) Econometrics from the Tinbergen Institute
- MSc in Econometrics from the University of Amsterdam
- BSc in Econometrics from the University of Amsterdam
Find me on: